The Dog Show #372 – April 13, 2016
Guest: Kirsty Peake, recent recipient of the International Center for Wolves Who Speaks for Wolf award. Kirsty and Julie discuss important differences between wolves and dogs, for us to understand our beloved dogs, and also honor their majestic ancestors. From early development to pack structure, enjoy this informative interview.
Julie and Kirsty will discuss topics such as:
*similar first 8 weeks of development, then it all changes
* natural behaviour (wolves) vs learned behaviour (dogs)
* early misconception of treating dogs like wolves and why it was wrong
* different types of dogs, i.e. biddable and non biddable breeds and how to work with them
* Human impact on dogs, i.e. different structures, head shapes etc. whereas wolves look like wolves wherever in the world.
* Humans developing specific traits in breeds, i.e. border collies, gundogs whereas wolves have it all in one package! Example of this with wolf pack and bison.
* Brain capacity and decision making abilities.
* From wolf to dog
Enjoy this informative conversation honoring our beloved dogs’ ancestors.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download